Friday, March 13, 2020

Exploring Role Play: The Realm of New Vale

I'm a complete novice when it comes to roleplay. I never got into games like DnD or RP sims on Second Life. I did spend a few years wearing a set of Neko ears and a tail while hanging around on venue rooftops, listening to performers and deejays, but I think that was more my 1st life crippling social anxiety than actual RP. 

When I saw the listing for New Vale on the Destination Guide, I was curious. I visited their website, expecting to find pages of rules and backstory, but was surprised to find a general description of roles and general rules. There is a backstory, but it's not overly elaborate, giving players the freedom to create a variety of characters and story lines. I also found that OOC visitors are allowed and photos encouraged, so I hopped on the train to New Vale.

Click picture to enlarge

The sim is beautifully built with lots of twinkling weeping willows and flowing water. Upon entering, you'll find well manicured streets with homes, businesses, a park, even a school. I spent an afternoon wandering around and encountered quite a few people milling about. I didn't engage in conversation with anyone, lest I interrupt them, but there was no shortage of other avatars.

It wasn't all twinkling trees and waterfalls. Literally across the tracks was the grittier side of town with shady looking characters and a no-tell motel, complete with empty pool.

Click picture to enlarge

If you'd like to visit New Vale, click here to find them on the map. After arriving in the train station, pick up your free dice and titler (available on the Marketplace for free,) take a moment to look over the rules and check it out.

A quote from Lala:
 Players who enjoy the place and want to help shape it will be welcome to start their own simwide storylines and hold events if they like. I'm providing the canvas for you to paint. 
We desperately need more creativity in Second Life. It's become centered on buying clothes and taking pictures for Flickr, which is fine if that's your thing, but I miss the days of weird characters running around, the days when my friends were tinies and dragons, when we danced with the fae and the furry alike.

Maybe I'll dust off my alt and re-visit New Vale, after she receives a substantial upgrade.

Be careful out there and create your world.