Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Your Privilege is Showing

Taking my boat out for a night cruise.
 

In the original metaverse, Second Life, we host residents from all over the world. People of different cultures, varied languages, economic circumstances and intellectual abilities. It can be easy to forget, especially when we're all shrouded behind our online personas and lacking the subtle visual cues we normally experience in first life. 

I've seen a bunch of snarky avatar shaming posts on social media, especially on Facebook (before my account got banned, go figure) and Twitter. The comments in question fall into the following categories:

  • Avatar appearance
  • Creator skills
  • Account age
  • Residents migrating from other games
  • Communities

I've caught grief from others for my Maitreya body. It doesn't lend itself to the current, curvy trend and as a result I've been told I had "triangle" hips, that it's not "realistic," etc. 

I bought my body because when I returned to SL after an absence, during which the whole mesh bodies change took place, it was simply the brand that I saw in most places. 

I'm not sure why it seems to be a problem. My first response to people with these comments is usually, "Why do you care? Mind your business." 

If you don't like another resident's appearance choices, that's fine. You do you. Why be a jerk about it?

By the way, in those instances where it matters, I've had not one complaint.

There's a lot of cocky comments regarding items at events that aren't "original mesh." 

So don't buy it. What's the problem? 

Everyone can't master Blender. Sure there are classes and my hat is off to everyone who has embraced mesh creation, but it's not an option for many people, whether it be because of time constraints, limited computer resources or, like me, they would rather spend their time in world sitting on the beach, watching the boats go by. 

Just because someone can't create the way you do, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to live out their version of Second Life, to own a successful business in a virtual world.

Personally, I think those who create full perm mesh for others to use are masters of marketing. They've created a resource for a large chunk of the grid.

I could go on, but you get the gist. We have to learn to embrace our differences if we're going to survive. Adopt a newb once in a while, help them out. Hug a furry. Let's try to remind ourselves that we have no real idea what that person behind the avatar is going through IRL. Especially nowadays. 

If we alienate residents and they end up leaving, who's going to like your Flickr photo that you worked all day editing? Who is going to buy that 950li mesh mansion you're trying to sell or those 18 parcels you've been paying tier on for 3 months? 

While LL struggles to improve the retention of new residents, we need to continue the process by making people feel welcome on the grid. 

You don't need me to tell you how to do that. We are (presumably) all adults and while we might not always embrace the practice, we all know how to play nice. 

I know you do.

Anywho, enough of my bickering. Moving on...

Ya'll will be happy to know that after an intricate dance of messages between neighbors, peace has been restored to our little corner of Second Life. Ugly dayglow boundary lines have been removed, plants have been rearranged and my passage to the sea has been restored. 

I love a happy ending.

Have you experienced bias in world, for any reason? I'd love to hear about it below. 

Life is a struggle. Second Life shouldn't have to be.


3 comments:

Sheree Honeyflower said...

People who bring their lonely, judgy lives into Second Life. Stuff them. Being true to yourself is a happier place than pretending to be something else just to keep "other" people happy.

Prisqua Newall said...

Who cares what other think? I love my Petite Maitreya body and Legacy Perky. Not realistic? I mean some of the curvy bodies I have never seen in RL... and so what if it is not realistic? This is Second Life.
I was at Peak Lounge some months ago and there were a lot of avies standing and I thought it was beautiful to see all the differences in shapes, colours and clothing. We were all individuals. Anyone who shames others have issues.

Anonymous said...

Well it's good to see you are back again in SL, hopefully the traumas of covid and life generally are a way behind you. Ill try to pop in and say hello sometime soon but in the meantime take care and don't work too hard. Beaches are for laying on after all.

Be kind to any passing kitties too, they may be my relations.

Nye Mu xxx