Saturday, March 21, 2020

COVID-19 and It's Effect on Second Life

As the world reels from the effects of the current plague, Second Life is feeling the effects. 

You can hoard all the free toilet paper you want on the Marketplace, guilt free (so please stop hoarding the real stuff.) There are also fashionable surgical masks and hand sanitizer dispensers for your personal protection role play. 

While I was out couch shopping, I found this classic plague doctor dude stuck in a back room with the Halloween decorations. Some folks seem to think I need a man in my life so I snagged him up. 


The Destination Guide's "What's Hot Now" page is full of packed clubs and role play regions. There's been a steady stream of sailboats and mini yachts passing by my coastal home all day. Second Life is hopping.

But aside from the grid being busier than usual, I've noticed other changes.

I'm seeing neighbors that I didn't know I had, standing around in their homes. Some have said hello. People are checking in on each other. Performers are sending out messages to their subscribers, asking them to stay safe. Group chats have become more lenient in their rules, allowing more "off-topic" discussions as folks from around the globe check on each other, offering prayers, messages of support and virtual hugs.

As we all isolate ourselves in our 1st lives, we're here together in our second. There's a unique sense of community here. While we may be twerking to the latest tunes with half our clothes still waiting to rez, we are together and having a blast.

Be kind to the new users and the returning users. Invite them to see your spiffy little cottage or skybox. Share some landmarks. Show them how awesome Second Life can be.

As for me, I'm still working on those selfie skills.


How are you spending your time on the grid? Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

Zidders Roofurry said...

Agreed. I've seen a lot more people than usual on the grid. Hope you & yours are staying safe & healthy irl. Btw your selfie looks just fine. ^_^

aquarius said...

your selfie is beautiful i spend alot of time going dancing at clubs as well as concerts finding games to play such as bingo i enjoy places that have readings and that put on plays and shows i do hunts and role play sometimes i just explore new worlds

Wolff Bikcin said...

I love the plague doctor pic. It's not exactly N-95, but I guess we had to start somewhere ^^. I worked from home for about 8 weeks, which was a mixed bag. Our organization is back to work, with all the challenges and opportunities that brings...at least I'm employed, right? But restaurants, movies and other entertainments are so 2019. So SL has been a life-saver in many ways. And Puddles is a hidden jewel in that vast, largely lonely space of Second Life. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So you are back in SL !! I shall have to potter by and have a look at the old place, I think I still have about $100 in Lindens still in my accounts (if it hasn't been wiped by now). Does Bear still exist? Last I visited the wall wasn't sit-able on. Pity that. I wonder how many of my avatars will still work - or even if my inventory is still intact?

Sorry to hear about A Moses, but it comes to us all in the end.

Hope you are keeping safe and make sure to vote.

Nye