Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Adventures in Teleporting and How To Set Your Landing Point

This week I've been doing a little more Gacha shopping (it's becoming a problem, seriously,) and dipping my toes back in to the Second Life live music scene. Back in the day, I spent hours swooning to the sounds of virtual crooners, eventually ending up in an ill-fated relationship with one.

Questionable life decisions aside, my main takeaway from this past week has been a problem arriving at events.

While browsing the listings, I found an Open House for a new rental neighborhood. It's name was similar to a place I know in 1st life, so I took it as a sign and went to check it out. (I'm all about the signs.) I tped over and landed in the ocean, beneath a dock at the bottom of a rock. Flying wasn't allowed, so I had to hike up the side of the rock, in my 6 inch heels and ended up INSIDE it.

I was not a happy camper.

The only way out was to cam through someone's window and sit on their sexy boom-boom couch, next to their child's crib. Thank goodness no one was home. I creeped myself out.

The area was well built and rather nice, but if I were looking for a rental, there's no way I would trust the technical prowess of landowners who couldn't properly set their landing point.

It's the little things that ruin a business.

If you have land and you're not sure, it's easy peasy to set the landing point for your land before you schedule an event or run a classified ad.

(Click picture to enlarge)
First, go to the spot you want people to land on when they tp to your parcel, shop, region or whatever. Go to your land tab, then options. The bottom of the popup window will show the current landing point. To change it to your current position, click "set."

See? Easy peasy lemon cheesy. Now your potential customers don't have to swim, fly or hike out of the swamp to find your event.

Sometimes when I'm at a loss for what to write about, I hop around the grid with the Destination Guide. A few days ago, there was an event for animesh creators. I love me some woodland creatures, so I headed over. Upon landing, I was greeted by a popup from a security orb, threatening to boot me out. I checked it again this morning. It's still listed on the Destination Guide, but the security orb is still there. Now they have a sign saying they don't open until noon today.

I'm not sure of the process involved to get featured on the guide, but imagine you're a new user heading to an event, only to be evicted. It's a problem.

One night I tried to attend a live music event at a well known tiny community. The landing point had a sign (that had to rez before I could read it,) leading to another landing point that still wasn't the venue. I ended up messaging a random person from the mini-map for a tp to the venue. Luckily she turned out to be very kind and helpful.

I get needing the landing zone to be away from the venue. SLag is an issue where many gather, but a simple note card giver with the landmark would be more practical . I'm sure you worked hard on your lovely sign, but not everyone is going to see it.

As someone who used to hold their own events, I know how much planning goes into them. I understand the investment of time and money, but I also know the frustration of looking for something to do and ending up stuck in odd places, of being new and not knowing how to dislodge myself from a tree.

Anywho, be careful out there. We'll talk again soon.