Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Second Life Blogs: Where Are The Storytellers?


As the sun was setting on Faravari, I thought about my return to Second Life and the changes I've seen thus far. One that was evident early on was the drastic change to blogging culture.

Prior to my return, I set out to search for current sites that could offer me some idea of what to expect. What I found were pages upon pages of beautifully crafted images gracing the latest incarnation of SL blogging, fashion blogs. Not unlike first life magazines, they listed clothing items and the shops where you too could could find the looks being worn by models. I thought it was amazing that shop owners had figured out a way to use social media as a means to market their goods.

What I didn't find were stories of amazing adventures, hidden builds and the day to day life of the average resident. I used to love those tales, they were full of inspiration and shared experiences.

Where did they go?

Deep down, I know they must still be out there, hidden beneath the glistening cleavage and shiny butt cheeks. They're buried in search engines, behind countless pouty poses and mesh personas.

Where are the wordsmiths? The story weavers? The sim hopping travelers? The broken hearts, the cheating husbands (or wives, or husbands playing as wives?)

And so I'm asking you, dear readers, to send me your blogs, full of words, adventures and stories. Tell your friends, your partners or anyone else that might be interested. Links can be sent to me via the contact form on the left, on Facebook, Twitter or you can IM me in world. I'll post the links here so that we can support each other.

We need to breathe a little life in to our Second Life.



5 comments:

Prisqua Newall said...

Ha. It always makes me laugh when people call themselves bloggers and you go to their blog to find a picture with credits where to buy stuff. I guess nowadays there should be categories for bloggers, maybe? I don't even see the point of posting a pic to a blog when they could have posted the credits directly on Flickr. It's annoying at best, and such a waste of time.

Mahala Roviana said...

You're right. I think it's the shops who sponsor them that require they have a blog and Flickr, both with x number of followers. It makes it hard to find "actual" blogs to follow. I mean, I get it. They want sponsors, but lordy lol.

Prisqua Newall said...

Well sponsors are idiots then, because sending someone out of Flickr is a waste of time. Website links should be for non Flickr user. If you're going to create links, it's not much more work to copy and paste. In general I will not fave a pic that sends me out of Flickr to check the link. If I'm going to a blog, it's because I want to read a story and possibly comment to share my voice.

Mahala Roviana said...

Isn't against Flickr's TOS to post links anyway? It seems like I got in trouble for that once. It was forever ago though.

Prisqua Newall said...

Is it? May have to check it out. I've never had issue with posting links. Regardless. If you have the name of the items and the store, it's easy to locate. And then if you really have to have the direct link, you could go to the website. It's about giving a good experience to your audience.