Monday, October 31, 2022

Second Norway: A Thriving Second Life Community

 

Road and houses in Second Life
One of the many roadways running through Second Norway

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently packed up my mainland parcel and relocated to Second Norway. 

I had looked at several options. While I continue to root for mainland to thrive, I couldn't afford the parcels that had all the bells and whistles I wanted. I've leased homesteads before, but I didn't like being cut off from the Blake Sea, not having neighbors, etc. 

Exploring by horseback, speedboat or auto are how I spend my slack time in SL. After weighing all the options available, I finally found a solution.

Second Norway is the best of all worlds. 

The medium sized island I chose is close to the open sea and easy for me to navigate. I only ran into someone's pier once. 

I'm not a great driver on land or sea, but boats are way easier.

In addition to residential islands, Second Norway has a network of roads on larger islands, connected by a series of ferries and bridges. One boasts a large airport, and others have airfields, a golf course, diners, marinas and other opportunities for role play. 

I stumbled upon a clinic yesterday, with a full list of services ranging from OB/GYN to psychiatric services.

I read back through some old forum posts created around two years ago, when Second Norway announced it had gone bankrupt. There seemed to be some confusion about the actual ownership of the area and whether Linden Labs actually controlled the property. 

I kept digging and found this article by Stex Auer on Medium featuring an interview with the new owner, Vanity Bonetto.  In the article, there is a good explanation of the future intentions of the new management team. I'm happy to see that it's still successful. 

I have been a little disappointed by one aspect of life here. There don't seem to be any active groups or regular events. I could be wrong, maybe I've missed something. I searched public groups and joined a few, but it's been crickets so far. I wouldn't mind hosting the occasional discussion or get together, I'm just not sure how I'd go about it.

I am open to suggestions.

Maybe I could organize a horseback tour? 

I don't know, we'll see.

In the meantime, I've enjoyed meeting a few of the neighbors, they all seem pretty friendly. I love sitting on our dock, watching boats go by or seaplanes flying overhead. It all reminds me of the coastal Virginia community where I grew up and my heart still sometimes aches for.

That's what Second Life is all about isn't it? Creating a virtual space to visit and remember those things you can't do in first life.

And the weekend sales. We can't forget the shopping.

Until next time, keep living your best Second Life!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there, SO glad you like Norway :) We try hard with the landscaping and development to leave space for residents as well as those enjoying the open water, roads and skies.

We DO have a social group, as a matter of fact our Grand Opening is this upcoming weekend! Second Norwegians Alehouse and Bistro is located in Soreide region. We will have a Second Norwegians group joiner there.

Stop by and try the pool table :D

All the best!
Zorah and staff at Second Norway

Mahala Roviana said...

Thank you for your comment Zorah! I'm headed to Soreide to check it out.