Thursday, November 10, 2022

Twitter in Flames and the SL Social Media Struggle

 

As a Second Life resident and wannabe influencer, I struggle with social media for the virtual world. In first life, I had a fairly successful blog with a large following, but the same rules for success don't apply in SL. 

It's not enough to post to the most popular platforms, you have to figure out if there's a Second Life community there as well, otherwise you're just screaming into the void.

My struggles grew a couple of months ago when my Facebook and Instagram accounts were locked due to advertising an adult venue. I got flagged for the equivalent of human trafficking.

Seriously.

I could have argued my case, but not before sending them a photo I.D. to verify my identity, which wouldn't have matched my display name, obviously. So I let my Facebook die and, in the meantime, created a new Instagram, using the same email address, phone number, etc. 

The adult venue that caused this clusterfuck had already been closed when my accounts got dinged. 

After moving (a couple of times) and licking my wounds, I made the decision to go back to what I know best. I began restructuring this space, making an action plan and trying to get my virtual life together. 

I decided to create a new Facebook account

After discovering TikTok and finding other residents there, I was reminded about profile link sites like Koji, Linktree and others. These sites enable you to set up a profile page with all your social media links, allowing you to give access to all your profiles on platforms like Instagram which only allow one link per profile. 

Simple right? Not for me. I have to make everything complicated. 

I had created a Koji account last year and it was linked to my old accounts. I'm pretty computer savvy, but I couldn't figure out how to change the settings to my new profile pages. I contacted their customer service and explained, and their response was to send me right back to the editing page I'd been to. 

Koji uses your email and phone number to find your accounts for those two particular sites and once it's linked, it's done.

*bangs head on desk*

It was during this time that Elon Musk took over Twitter. Now, according to what I've read from various sources, there will be an $8 charge for a blue checkmark. Previously, the check meant your account had been verified. Now, it just means you paid for a checkmark with no verification. However, if you don't buy the checkmark, your posts won't be searchable via hashtag and will basically float off into the abyss, or posted on MySpace, I don't really know for sure. I just know that my personal relationship with the current economy can't justify $8 a month just to use Twitter. 

Maybe I'm the exception, but it is what it is.

I really wish Linden Labs could create an inworld social media app. 

Anyway, here we are. All (well, most) of my social media is now linked to tabs at the top of this page (yay!)  

I've always felt there was a real lack of advertising opportunities available for Second Life business. There are plenty of ad boards, but ugh. No one looks at them, if they even rezz before people leave the area. There has to be a better way. 

If you have a business and are looking for an alternative to ad boards, I have two spots available in the sidebar. You can get more information by clicking the "advertising" tab at the top of the page.

In the meantime, I'm still out here struggling. We all are. 

I need to go find the ibuprofen. Ya'll have an amazing day and keep living your best Second Life!

1 comment:

Jayber W said...

Great post, Mahala. The Twitter verification doesn't even merit a joke, at the moment, since that would imply it's funny. The policy is less than consumer friendly, to say the least.

I was reading an article this morning that suggested the three major alternatives to Twitter right now are
1) Mastadon (500,000 new users since Mad Man Musk took over Twitter)
2) Counter Social (looks a lot like Twitter, but has heavy-handed mods to weed out trolls, bots, fake news...sounds good to me!)
3) Reddit. Really! How is that anything like Twitter?

Wonder what your thoughts are on any of these.

Jayber