Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Neighbor Wars and Running Hot




Well this is a lovely view I logged on to this morning. 

There's been something going on between my next door neighbor and the one that lives between them and the sea. It's a pretty little corner of the world, when there aren't random parcel boundaries popping up. It's usually not an issue, I normally de-render the textures and move on. 

This time, however, the resident with the "group only" banlines on my eastern border has extended an invisible prim all the way across and in front of my ocean access. 

I swear I haven't done anything to tick anyone off. It's not a huge deal, but I do enjoy taking my boat out on occasion. 

I've sent some friendly IMs, I'll keep you posted. 

The issue of sketchy neighbors is one of the reasons so many people choose living on private estates. There are rules to keep the peace, no one bothers you and stuff like this doesn't happen. When I was leasing my homestead, I had missed having neighbors to say hello to. I loved seeing the random boat pass by, watching helicopters pass overhead. 

I missed Mainland. 

Unfortunately, it's the handful of residents that have a small stroke if one leaf of your palm tree extends over the shared parcel line, causing them to over react by dropping giant structures to block views, that cause issues on mainland regions. It's usually the folks who spend most of their time in a skybox or log on for an hour once a month. 

I don't get it.

Anywho, moving on.

I'm loving the new Firestorm update. I know some have reported problems, but with the exception of the first time I tried it, it's worked amazingly for me. The only problem I had was my laptop overheating whenever I logged on to Second Life. I tried to fix it, googling and scouring the forums, but I couldn't find any recent information. I decided to order a cooling pad to see if that would help. The next day, I was scrolling through Twitter and saw a post about energy conservation and how limiting your FPS would reduce the workload on your system. 

I was so excited to find the tweet that I didn't pay attention to who posted the information. I wish I had, if you happened to see it, let me know in the comments so that I can give the person credit.

With the new update, my FPS had shot up to well over 100, so it sort of made sense that this could be causing my problem. I went to preferences, graphics, then rendering and limited my fps to 60 (I assumed that should be plenty for whatever I happen to be doing) and my system temp immediately dropped. 

It was too late to cancel the cooling pad, but I figure it will come in handy when taking pics in Black Dragon (which also tries to melt my computer) or recording with OBS. 

Since the update, I've experimented with some drives along LL routes, using my favorite Supernatural inspired SL version of Baby (if you know, you know,) with few issues. As usual, it depended on the region but for the most part, I had a much improved experience. I also toured the Sharp continent on horseback, taking my new Teegle Irish Cobb out for ride while snapping a few pictures and checking out some land for SL Land Source

Do you have any harrowing neighbor stories? Have you had issues with the new Firestorm update? I'd love to see them in the comments below!

We'll chat again soon. Keep living your best Second Life!

No comments: