Wednesday, May 29, 2019

CSI New York, Bear Infohub and The Powers that Be

Back in the day, I used to hang out at Bear Infohub. Friends and I would sit on the wall, causing mischief and meeting new people. We had a blast. It's where we'd meet up before taking off on some adventure, either trying out our new Rudolph shaped ice skates or a serious discussion on the joys and pitfalls of Second Life relationships.

But something changed.

I believe it was around the time that the CSI: New York episode featuring SL aired. The sudden influx of new accounts made Bear inhabitable. The Powers that Be had established a special sim with scenes and clues from the episode. A sim that became so super crowded that IF you managed to get in, you could do little more than stand there and look stupid. General opinion was that the traffic the episode would inspire was greatly underestimated.

The Powers that Be were not prepared.

In case you missed it, here's a clip:




 Anywho, after that fiasco, our little hangout was never the same and we all moved on with our second lives. So this week, I decided to go back for a visit.

Sadly, things hadn't improved. Avatars were gathered on the landing pad, just standing there. Trying to get the attention of anyone that popped in, I assume.

Dang, I thought I was tall.

Others seemed to be having some kind of issue, I don't know what the feck was going on here:


I watched for a bit, I was hoping she'd lay an egg. Now that I think about it, I should have put one there. It would have made a great photo. I guess my snarkiness has waned over the years.

Next time squatty lady. Next time.

There there was also a disembodied head, not the advertisement LAQ was probably looking for.

It had a name tag, so it wasn't Squatty's attachment. Just a head, facing the tree line by the wall.

Now, before you come at me for picking on newbs, you should know that all of these accounts were at least 3 years old. One was as old as mine, so... no guilt here.

I wandered around the adjoining land, but I didn't see anything really new or exciting. No "live" people to chat to. Just pixelated sadness.

And so I moved on. I know there is still "life" in Second Life and I intend to find it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those were the days... still miss you

Nye Mu xxx