Saturday, June 8, 2019

Splashy Rocks and Settling Down


I packed up my little floaty island in the sky and bit the bullet. While out looking for land, I came across an ocean parcel that was quite reasonably priced and decided it was a keeper. I went through three houses and 8 islands before I settled on a design. I couldn't let that view get away. Admittedly, it wasn't perfect. There was a 1024 m dock/dance floor between me and the sunrise. I had a three story monstrosity here at first, over looking the dock, but it was just too much room.

It's just me, ya know?

Also? I bought it furnished and the animations were all screwed up. If I sat in a chair atop the pretty roof deck, the table sliced my head in half.

Not a good look.

So, with a little creative derendering, I have a beautiful sunrise view without having to climb two fecking spiral staircases. I suppose if an event is ever held there again, I can sit on the dock and watch people levitate while they dance.


The furnishings are a little sparse at the moment, but decorating is half the fun, right? I'm still hoping I'll have room to hold the occasional discussion. I was worried the SLag would be too strong for much socializing, but it's actually better than I thought it would be. 


I know the "little house on the water" is a bit cliche' in SL, but it makes me happy. Well, other than those ginourmous screens in the background. I just try not to look that way. I had a hard time finding mesh islands that would:

  • Fit a 1024
  • Were reasonably flat
  • Had a realistic sand texture
  • And that I could afford
I was excited to find a set of 8 islands with waves and palm trees for under $L200. The trees aren't great but everything else is perfect.

I don't know if there's a secret to building on water when you have to worry about property lines, but I ended up going to a sandbox, rezzing a 32x32 prim and using it to lay out the islands before dropping them on my land. It worked like a charm.

I think.

We'll find out if the neighbors complain. I think I've seen ONE other av in the few days I've been here.

Anywho, I'm off to shop. I think I want one of those splashy, sea spray rocks.

How's your second life? Drop a comment below and let me know!


No comments: